Shadow Catchers

Historic, Modern, Contemporary Photographs

CAPITAL BREWERY (OLYMPIA BREWERY)
CAPITAL BREWERY (OLYMPIA BREWERY)
DESCHUTES RIVER MIDDLE FALLS
DESCHUTES RIVER MIDDLE FALLS
OLD OLYMPIA BREWERY
OLD OLYMPIA BREWERY
Joe Jeffers Photographer
Joe Jeffers Photographer
Joe Jeffers Photographer
Joe Jeffers Photographer
AERIAL OVER OYMPIA BREWERY COMPLEX AND NEW BRIDGE OVER THE DESCHUTES RIVER
AERIAL OVER OYMPIA BREWERY COMPLEX AND NEW BRIDGE OVER THE DESCHUTES RIVER
AERIAL OF SOUTH GATE
AERIAL OF SOUTH GATE
MORE ABOUT TUMWATER, WASHINGTON...
 The site of Tumwater and Tumwater Falls has been home to Southern Lushootseed-speaking peoples known as the Steh-Chass / Stehchass or Statca'sabsh (a subtribe of the Sahewamish (Sahe'wabsh), a subgroup of the Nisqually people; who became part of the post-treaty Squaxin Island Tribe) for thousands of years. "Steh-Chass" is the Lushootseed name for Budd Inlet, Deschutes River, and the Tumwater Falls area, and for an important village of the Statca'sabsh.  Tumwater was originally called "New Market" by American settlers, and under the latter name was platted in 1845. The present name is derived from Chinook Jargon and means "waterfall". A post office called Tumwater was established in 1863. The city incorporated in 1875.

You may also like these Galleries. . .

Back to Top